Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-13-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
TriDad

Default Winterization costs ?

What should a "standard" winterization of a 6 cyl Merc stern drive cost?

What should an oil change cost?
TriDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
secondcurve

I pay between a $100-125 for my Yamaha 225 (outboard) oil change. You can do it yourself for less, but for most of us it probably makes sense to have a professional do the work, especially if the motor is in the warranty period.

As far as winterization goes, it really isn't much work. My guess is that the charge would be $100-200. My winterization charge is buried in the total bill which includes shrink wrapping, storage, the year-end oil change, etc. I called three dealers and they all were fairly close in price for the package of services I needed. The bottom line is you can save money doing it yourself, but if you make an error on an expensive piece of equipment all your savings will evaporate quickly.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,094 Times in 788 Posts
Exclamation Winterization.

I have to agree with Secondcurve. A cracked manifold or block cost more than the $100-$200 that you would shell out for winterization. If you have a shop do it make sure it is written on the receipt that they are responsible for damages in case the screwed up.
I watch a mechanic years ago winterized a motor and I've been doing it ever since without a problem. I have a barn to store the boat so I do not shrink wrap the boat. Make sure there are ventilation holes in the shrink wrap. You may end up with mold, mildew and an occasional 'shroom on the carpets.