Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
Zee

Default Gas prices on the Lake

With land gas at $3.00 and more per gallon, has anyone gotten gas for their boat in the last 24 hours? If so, please share the bad news.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
Grant

Default Unreal

I saw a station down here in PA that was selling regular for 2.77 last evening, which I thought was horrible. Then I drove by this morning on my way to work, and the same station had jacked it up to 3.01. The one down the street was $3.29 -- for REGULAR.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
GWC...

Zee,

You may want to save this URL from an earlier thread regarding fuel prices on the Lake to Favotites, as the price will likely increase:

http://www.boatnh.com/gasprices/

and for land prices:

http://www.newhampshiregasprices.com/

Last edited by GWC...; 09-02-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,064 Posts
Default Alternative to high gas prices

It was about 5:20 PM, and I have a 7 PM meeting to attend this evening. I had thoughts about going out in the boat for a short run, but didn't want to waste the gas on just me going for a ride, not at these gas prices. My wife was still at work, and then is heading to Walmart to get some curtains (should I have reminded her that this is back to school season at Walmart???????Naaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh ).

So I was left to my own devices for supper, and decided to have a picnic lunch and sit on the upper deck at Irwin Gardens, or whatever they call it these days. You know, the site for the Weirs Cam. The site for the Weirs Cam in motion.

Yeah, I saved a bunch of money on gas, ate my sandwiches, drank my pepsi, and enjoyed the view of Weirs Bay with a few jetskis running around, looked like Doris heading out, and a few other boats. Nice weather too..79 degrees under partly cloudy skies and light winds. Couldn't have had a much nicer picnic out in the boat....well maybe as nice...alright, it isn't the same as actually being out there, but it was up there.

Well, I think I may clean up for the meeting, so I'll head out of here...Oh, by the way, Thanks Don Z. for having a great picnic site when we are away from the lake, or just not able to get out on the lake. Cheers. , this one's for you (fill in your favorite brew). (oops a little poetry slipped in there.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #5
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
So I was left to my own devices for supper, and decided to have a picnic lunch and sit on the upper deck at Irwin Gardens, or whatever they call it these days. You know, the site for the Weirs Cam. The site for the Weirs Cam in motion.

Yeah, I saved a bunch of money on gas, ate my sandwiches, drank my pepsi, and enjoyed the view of Weirs Bay with a few jetskis running around, looked like Doris heading out, and a few other boats. Nice weather too..79 degrees under partly cloudy skies and light winds. Couldn't have had a much nicer picnic out in the boat....well maybe as nice...alright, it isn't the same as actually being out there, but it was up there.
You do realize that:

WP, Pepper, sells Pepsi and sandwiches, too, and makes a nice picnic "supper" meal that one or more could brown-bag at the Weirs and enjoy the view and meal.

P.S. - See the boat; but where are you?

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/cam/mpcamera1-2.jpg

Last edited by GWC...; 09-01-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
Newbiesaukee

$2.99 at Trexlers around 11 this am.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:29 PM   #7
webmaster

Thanked 3,746 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee
$2.99 at Trexlers around 11 this am.
Many gas docks, like Anchor Marine, have older mechanical pumps that won't go over $2.999/gallon. That may be a popular price until the pumps are upgraded.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:50 PM   #8
fpartri497

Default gas prices

downings landing 4.00 p.m. today at $3.55-9/10
Old 09-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,064 Posts

GWC...of course I have taken the "dinner cruise" to WP, but in trying to save money, I did my picnic lunch right here at home, about 18 inches behind that bug that was on the lens!!!!!

Gas prices should make for an interesting weekend on the lake.

Enjoy it and be safe, on or off the lake.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:54 AM   #10
Kamper

Default Allocations to essential uses

A contributor on "The Hull Truth.com" mentionned that a contact at a distributor in another part of the country is "allocating" fuel to essential services. This means that marinas arent going to get deliveries from them until supplies pick up again. This complication may get to us soon.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #11
trfour

Default On my out and about today,

Land gas regular, was pushing $3.50 per gallon.... May be a good time for all of us here in the northeast, to take out a low interest fixed second mortgage, just to be able to afford to heat our homes this coming winter!

Let us all pause and ask a question... We all pay for insurance, our homes, our cars, our health, retirement Storm Dammage... and Big Oil Tucks it to us every day?

T.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 09-02-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:38 PM   #12
Kona Family

Got gas at Shep's yesterday at $2.95/Gallon, the young lady just got a gas shipment and hadn't gotten to changing the price yet. She thought it was going up around a dollar !! This should keep the high performance boats and corresponding nutty pilots in check for the rest of the year.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:46 PM   #13
fatlazyless

I like to blame the high price of gas on our invasion of Iraq but do not really understand why the big increases. For starters, from where does NH and the rest of the US get its' oil &/or gasoline? Possible crude oil producing origins could be Mexaco, Venuzualia, the Gulf of Mexico off Lousiana, Norway, Alaska, Saudi Arabia, Iraq & Russia plus there's probably other countries like in Africa. I like to think that invading Iraq was like eliminating the neighborhood bully for Saudi Arabia so they are no longer beholden to the US military but what the H do I know?

Fortunately, I have a 15'/190lb sailboat w/ a large main & jib, and no motor, and sailing it can be a challenge.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:28 PM   #14
trfour

Post Not meening to burst your bubble,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Family
Got gas at Shep's yesterday at $2.95/Gallon, the young lady just got a gas shipment and hadn't gotten to changing the price yet. She thought it was going up around a dollar !! This should keep the high performance boats and corresponding nutty pilots in check for the rest of the year.
Go fasters have way too much money to worry about the costs.

Whowever, I totaly agree with you!
Love,
T.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 09-02-2005, 10:57 PM   #15
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster
Many gas docks, like Anchor Marine, have older mechanical pumps that won't go over $2.999/gallon. That may be a popular price until the pumps are upgraded.
The way around a pump that can not be set higher than $2.99 is to lower the price to say $1.75 per gallon and charge double the meter reading.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:14 AM   #16
Kamper

Default Fuel east of the Rockies

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
... from where does NH and the rest of the US get its' oil &/or gasoline? ...
From what I've been hearing, most the eastern refining capability is in the Gulf states. A large part of our imported crude as well as Gulf production comes ashore in areas hit by Katrina. Additionally the main pipelines from Texas, Omaha and other oil producing states outside the storm areas transit Louisianna and Mississippi.

Those facilities use electric pumps along the way to keep the product flowing. Electricity delivery to the pump stations was cut off and is still in the process of being restored. As they get emergency power to the facilities they expect to get at least some flow restored. Refineries in the storm area will probably be restarted after the delivery system is able to accept their fuel.

The eastern/midwestern part of the country supposedly uses about 9 million gallons of fuel a day and when Katrina hit there was aprox 190 millions gallons in local storage. The bulk of cost increase is coming from the distributors. Depending on your point of view they are either taking advantage of market fears or trying to discourage consumption by raising prices because they are still selling fuel they had on hand already.

In the meantime, imported crude is probably floating off the coast waiting for refinery capacity to become available. Some of it is probably being diverted to other US ports with storage or refinery facilities. I expect some of it will probably be re-sold on the world market so the tankers can turn around and be ready with another load when we can use it.

The west-coast states have a system of refineries and pipelines to service areas west of the Rocky Mountains. There may be some pipe-line connection through the south-western states but that flow will still be bottle-necked in the storm zone.

Ken
Old 09-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #17
fatlazyless

Iraq may not had any nuclear bombs but it sure has oil underneath their dessert sand, and lots of it. As long as the US Military is over there at huge expense, dying & getting wounded, why not carve out a Rhode Isnad sized oil rich piece of their Iraqi dessert just exclusively for our Amercan gas guzzling oil habit. How's 95 cent reg gas or die sound for a battle cry. '95 regular or die!' Just fill it up with that 95 cent gas from wackie Iraqi. Maybe, call it Saddam Gas, or Bush Gas, or Iraqi gas, or whatever.

In the 19th century didn't England seize Diego Garcia, a small island in the Indian Ocean for use as a British Navy ship coaling station so that's as good a precedent as any. Who knows, a strong US military presence plus a US economic interest in Iraq for their oil may even turn out to be good the the peoples of Iraq for some unthought reason. Plus,as a fatlazyless American, I deserve 95 cent gas for my gas guzzlin' pickup truck. Ayup!..........ahem
Old 09-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #18
Kamper

Talking Wrong Century

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Iraq ... sure has oil underneath their dessert sand, and lots of it. ...why not carve out a ...piece ... for our ... oil habit. ... I deserve 95 cent gas for my gas guzzlin' pickup truck. Ayup!..........ahem
Ah yes, the good old days of forced colonization and annexation. That'll teach us to sign on to things like the U.N. Charter. Hey, we still have Puerto Rico and Guam. Nice beaches.

Hey, have you heard the rumor about Stone Dam Island? Winni is acutually on top of an oil dome that has secretly been declared part of the national petroluem reserve since 1920. SDI is the site where the wells will go in when the govt decides things are grim enough. The wild-life sancutary is just a cover story. The original plan was to ship it by tank cars and the sightseeing trains are actually getting secret subsidies to keep the rail rights of way open.

Closed Thread