Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #1
ApS

Exclamation

Maybe HB162 will have a different—and highly desireable—effect.

While searching PFDs, I found that kite-boarders (or kite-surfers), have a unique complaint about PFDs. It turns out that when they "crash" (like a waterskier's fall), they really get beat up by the PFD—and even fall out of it! While the PFD keeps one afloat, kite-boarders often hit the water harder, and the PFD retards a clean "entry". It certainly doesn't help that they can't let go instantly, as a skier can. They "de-power" the kite—a curved, automobile-sized, sail.

Instead, they buy specialized vests that don't knock the wind out of them when they crash. (Kite-boarders usually crash at 26-MPH or less). For security, some of these vests feature "grooves", "funnels", "mesh" and a side-entry! They don't float as well as a CG-approved PFD, however. (I've had the wind knocked out of me with a NH-mandated ski belt).

At HB162-friendly speeds, PFDs usually stay on skiers and boaters. Exceeding HB162 speeds, however, have resulted in PFDs being torn off upon impact with the water with fatal results. (We saw a double-fatality last summer—posted here).

Even 45MPH is a very high boating speed I've read—somewhere.

It's been reported that eight out of ten victims in fatal boating accidents were not wearing PFDs.

It's a good thing to promote PFD-wearing. In 2005, the Coast Guard proposed 100% of boaters wear PFDs when moving. It got shot down—in favor of "Education".

PFDs will prove to be more effective at HB162 speeds than at "no-limit" speeds.