Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,030 Times in 226 Posts
Default Another Lat/Lon question

What is the distance between two objects that have these numbers for the 2nd, west set of coordinates? They are real numbers I need help with.

XX YY.319

XX YY.321

XX YY.359

I need a handle on the increments that the last set of 3 digits represents-a helpful answer would tell me how far one foot is, using the decimal system above, focusing on the last digit set of 3.

For example how far is from 319 to 321? Miniscule? 6 feet? 30 feet?

The answer will be useful to me as I sometimes pick up apparently new objects on side-scan in an area I have been before. I have so many that I now check my spreadsheet of finds and cross check Lat/Lon on the side-scan to my sheet right on the boat. If they are for the most part the same numbers I don't gear up and dive it as I assume it's the same thing but targets are getting so close together now I need to determine exactly how far apart a known target is from what may be an unknown one.

If the water was super clear and I could see 40 feet or more this wouldn't be nearly so important but not only is there very "dark" water in Winni (parts of Alton, Lees Mills, Greens etc.) even when it's not dark water, the deeper you go of course in "clear" water the lower the visibility. Last year I gave some trusted divers the Lat/Lon of a nifty wreck and they landed only 15 feet from it-and almost couldn't see it at all because of the severely lowered viz..

Thank you all.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote