Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
Island Girl

Default Annual April Ice Out Tour -2005

Island Girl's April Ice Out Tour 2005 - Part 1

Each April I take pictures of the lake to compare yearly ice conditions. I started a few years ago just at the town docks at Glendale in Gilford. Some years there was ice, another no ice, etc. Last year I expanded the tour to lots of pictures around the lake as far east as Moultonborough. It was great fun traipsing around places where I had never been. I posted some of those pictures in an album on Photopost.

This year there are a lot of webcams and a lot of people taking pictures from various parts of the lake. This is the most photographed ice-out ever. The ice-out page at Snake Eyes is getting lots of daily visits. I am taking a different approach this year. I have pictures and video from the lake from the weekend of April 9-10, 2005. I hope you enjoy my tour. I certainly did.

I hope to add Part 2 this weekend, unless the ice is out!

I left my house just before 6am, Saturday morning to head to the lake. I got to Alton Bay just before 8 am to find many people fishing or watching the fishing. At the tip of the bay, several boats are in the water... all dressed up and no place to go.

People were fishing and watching the fishing, canoeing and kayaking.

The ice was out to the bandstand. Though chilly, the boaters did not seem to mind

A couple of older viewers taking in the sun and the scenery from the Mt. Washington dock.

The sun glimmers on the bay giving hope to an ice-out soon.

Sandy Point cottages iced in, still.

Heading up the bay, the Scenic overlook tells a different story. Ice everywhere.

Looking the other way out to the open lake, a few melted spots, mostly gray and white ice.

Little Mark Island and Moose Island behind. You can still see the tracks of vehicles of a few weeks ago

..........continued

....... Make Lemonade

Last edited by Island Girl; 04-13-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote