Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
ApS

Lightbulb Priming a Jet pump for water

In years past, I've always bundled up, gone into the muddy crawl space, removed the plug on the top of the pump, and poured in about end).

This year, the first gallon refused to go down the pipe, and what I had was an ounce of bubbles plugging the intake pipe opening, accepting no more water. (Maybe...shouldn't have reused an empty laundry-soap jug?)

I bought a $4 adapter*** at the hardware store, screwed it into the kitchen faucet, attached a stretchy clear plastic hose to the adapter, and siphoned the fill water into the kitchen spout -- backwards. (Opening only the COLD water faucet).

Plugging in the pump, it started pumping immediately, and better than I can ever remember. The hot water tank filled in just a few minutes. The shower's hot water faucet was opened to allow the air -- now being displaced by water -- out.

I had primed the pump from upstairs -- and comfortably indoors -- for the first time. Next year, I add anti-freeze to the stored "fill-water" containers, and store them in the bathtub for next Spring.

You plumbers out there: Is this what New Yorkers call a "kluge"? Or is this a D'Oh, for my never having thought of it? (I'll not tell you how many seasons it took to "discover" this).

Could there be a downside to this idea?

***The adapter was originally for those old portable kitchen dishwashers, before people installed dishwashers permanently in the larger kitchens you see today. The adapters don't work on bathroom spouts. Go figure; but you know plumbing!.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote