Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Door Weatherstripping - Help !

Have an issue with my wood exterior door weather-stripping which needs replacement. Door is about 25 yrs old, made by Wenco. Jeldwen Corp. bought Wenco some years back and services these doors. Called Jeldwen but b/c of door age could not help me. They directed me to Strybuc Corp. a supplier of replacement parts. They could help but I had to place an order for at least a dozen pieces.

The door weather-stripping is the type that fits into a groove/slot in the door casing. Material is vinyl.

I have been to Lowes and Home Depot, but they have nothing similar or anything I could substitute. Contacted Granite State Glass in Laconia, and they can order the weather-stripping, but supplier will only take a minimum order of 20 pieces. Obviously I only need 3 pieces to replace sides and top of door casing.

Any suggestions of any other local door companies I could check, or ideas to replace existing
weather-stripping with an alternative?

Thanks,
BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
thebix

Default Try searching Amazon

I bought these from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007UN5P0
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,959 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Have an issue with my wood exterior door weather-stripping which needs replacement. Door is about 25 yrs old, made by Wenco. Jeldwen Corp. bought Wenco some years back and services these doors. Called Jeldwen but b/c of door age could not help me. They directed me to Strybuc Corp. a supplier of replacement parts. They could help but I had to place an order for at least a dozen pieces.

The door weather-stripping is the type that fits into a groove/slot in the door casing. Material is vinyl.

I have been to Lowes and Home Depot, but they have nothing similar or anything I could substitute. Contacted Granite State Glass in Laconia, and they can order the weather-stripping, but supplier will only take a minimum order of 20 pieces. Obviously I only need 3 pieces to replace sides and top of door casing.

Any suggestions of any other local door companies I could check, or ideas to replace existing
weather-stripping with an alternative?

Thanks,
BD
Big Dog;

Email me a photo of a cut section of the vinyl strip with dimensions noted. I may be able to help you out, or if your in the Manchester area P.M. me through this board.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 10-25-2011 at 01:52 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
songkrai

You might be lucky with response above.

I have found in my doors to get an exact replacement is almost impossible. All of these door companies just contract out the bottom weather strip rubber/plastic. And the company that made yours may or may not still be in business. That is, the company that actually manufactured the weather strip.

You will find 'generic' weather stripping at any hardware/big box store. And that may or may not fit.

I have learned over time. If I purchase/order any new door I ask for a 2nd bottom weather stripping to come with new door. Lumber yards are better with this. Big box stores mostly point out the 'generic' ones in stock on shelves.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote