Thread: Drop Cam
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default Impressive!

Thanks to this thread, I purchased a Dropcam to try out and must say I am really impressed thus far.

The ease of setup and connectivity is super simple! Anyone can do it! The many user functions and ability to adjust these functions remotely is another key feature I love!

You do need at least .5 MBPS upload speed for the camera to function on High def. On the island I have barely .5 MBPS and so far the majority of the time the camera works great. Sometimes during peak hours it will reload constantly which is no big deal to me. You can remotely put it on standard definition mode which will reduce your bandwidth usage and the camera will function normally.

The camera does have a 8x zoom feature which is really pretty useless as the picture gets way to grainy with the slightest amount of zoom. The zoom probably works better indoors with objects closer to the camera.

For those of you on limited bandwidth I believe these might work as you can shut the camera off remotely and turn on only when you want to check on things. No, you will not have any "cloud" recording or history but at least if your using it like me, you can "check on things" when you want.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on these!

Dan