View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 06:56 AM   #14
Dave R

If I was in the area, I'd be happy to help, but I'm not in the area.

I recommend finding an empty parking lot a few days ahead of time and practice backing the trailer accurately into parking spots from different starting points until you can put the trailer wherever you want it to be. At that point, you should be comfortable backing down a ramp.

Some random (but not comprehensive) tips from a guy that trailers boats all the time:

Put the windows down the the tow vehicle and remove your seat belt before backing toward the ramp.

Make sure there are no passengers in the tow vehicle before backing toward the ramp.

Leave the bow strap or winch strap connected until the boat will float if it comes off the trailer.

Have two long lines connected to the boat, one at the bow and one at the stern, so that the boat handler can control the boat after it is free of the trailer. You cannot control a boat with one line...

Teach the boat handler how to tie a proper cleat hitch before you head to the lake.

Slow is pro; don't use momentum to get the boat off the trailer, let gravity and buoyancy do the work gently.

Have a plan for what to do once the boat is floating and make sure your boat handler is aware of the plan and able to execute it.

Prep the boat for launching well out of the way at the boat ramp. If your boat prep spot is blocking others from using the ramp, you are doing it wrong. If there's a line, use the time in line to prep the boat, but always be ready to safely move forward as the line moves.

When putting the boat back on the trailer, it's really easy to back the trailer in too deeply and doing so is a really common rookie mistake. Start shallow and drive the boat (partially) onto the trailer at idle speed. Once you have it started up the trailer, use the winch to finish the job. If winching gets difficult, back the trailer further into the water in a couple of feet to ease the tension on the winch and finish the job.

Good luck!
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post: