View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 04:53 PM   #58
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I have no ax to grind against the railroad and it's kind of a nice attraction but I think public property should be used for the benefit the greatest number of people. The train goes back and forth a couple times per day and for the other 20 hours nothing uses it. If people staying in Meredith or Weirs could walk or bike or shuttle back and forth some way without a car it would benefit both and could be four seasons. With most of the lake front being private it would be great to have a path along the water and maybe there are a couple of leases given out for a snack bar along the way. I know it's not going to happen any time soon , if ever, but just seems like such a better use of the right of way. Not to mention there are hardly any roads in the area with a shoulder safe enough to walk or bike on and we can all use more exercise.
Who says the Railroad right of way is "Public Property" ? Granted, it is owned by the State, but that does not mean anyone can use. Quite the contrary.....

You are not allowed to walk on Interstate 93 (public property), and you're not allowed to legally walk on a Railroad easement.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote