View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 02:27 PM   #49
Newbiesaukee

Although I believe Covid-19 will be as devastating, if not more so, than I thought a few weeks ago; it is still important to recognize there is a lot still unknown. Also, a number of new studies are available yielding information suggesting that what we thought before may not be true. But these new studies must be validated. For example, we now believe that it may frequently transmitted by people with no symptoms. It is still not clear how long the virus can persist on different surfaces...and persistence does not mean it can cause disease. Although it seems to be holding that the elderly are more at risk, today data suggests men are twice as likely to have serious illness than woman. Also a higher percentage of young males seem to,require hospitalization than even the elderly, although the death rate is higher in the elderly. Hydroxychloroquine, which I used in my practice many years ago for lupus patients, MAY be useful, but it is not the innocuous medication it is said to be. It needs to be looked at carefully for effectiveness as well as safety. New studies suggest the 6 foot rule may not be quite as useful as touted.

The point is that a lot of the stuff we believe today may not be the case as we learn more. The testing itself can be confusing...the 25% positive is meaningless unless you are testing a whole population not just sick or scared people.

Anyway, just be critical thinkers. Let’s try to avoid the politics as much as possible and try to help each other as much as feasible. That said, it is not a kumbaya moment; it is serious business.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post: