View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #99
New Hampshire Lake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

I also think this big boat ($$$$) vs little boat ($) argument is way overblown. If someone can afford a big $$$ boat good for them. If all someone can afford is a small $ boat... good for them too! Boats are luxury items... very few people NEED a boat. So I don't have much tolerance for a guy with a small boat or lake house whining about a guy with a bigger boat or house. To me it is like the have(s) whining about the have more(s). I happen to fall into the have(s) category. I am blessed enough to live here year 'round in a small condo off the water in the Weirs, and a smaller (26') boat.

Woodsy
I really don't know where this idea that people are "whining" about the "haves" comes from, or that there is some element of jealousy at play. I don't like those boats and houses so why would I want one? I don't begrudge anyone their "success." For example, have you ever seen anyone complain about the beautiful mahogany Chris Crafts, Lymans, Gar-Woods, Hacker-Crafts of a bygone era? The best examples of those are often as expensive, if not more, than your average ocean-going behemoth or GFBL boat that can be found on Winnipesaukee. No one complains about them because they're beautiful and in keeping with the lake and its history. But the huge wakes and noise that the GFBL boats produce (not to mention speakers on wakeboard towers) destroy others' enjoyment. Those houses that clear 100' of trees so that they can have a view (or more likely so others' can view their house from the water) destroy the landscape for all of us. So I like to call people on it.
New Hampshire Lake Man is offline   Reply With Quote