Thread: Water levels
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #24
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbatch View Post
Can someone explain to me (and other bloggers) the function of the dam in Lakeport and its influence on lake level (Winnipesaukee). It has been my understanding that lake level is almost entirely controlled by raising and lowering dam (spillway) height in Lakeport: In spring, in times of heavy rain or snow runoff, the dam is raised to prevent flooding of the Merrimack river. As a result, the lake can go over-full. In the fall, height is intentionally lowered to provide a reservoir for spring runoff. Some years, when its exceptionally dry, the height has to be lowered faster than usual to keep sufficient water flowing into the Merrimack river. In other words, the operators of the Lakeport dam (EPA?) have the power and means to keep the level in Winnipesaukee at a high enough level not to upset boaters. However, this could only be done at the expense of those industries downstream that require sufficient water flow. The latter is obviously the priority (over a few damaged stern drives and impellers). Is what I wrote above even half right?
I think you're mostly right. It's NH DES, (not US EPA) Dam Bureau that is responsible for controlling, inspecting, maintaining, permitting hundreds of dams both privately owned and state owned. The rivers are seen as a system for flood control, for example, and the impact of raising or lowering a single dam must be integrated with upstream and downstream needs. It can be pretty complex with a dash of guess work too. Over the last 20+ years, "in-stream flow" rules have been developed to consider needs for agriculture, irrigation (golf courses), fish and wildlife, recreation, etc. DES may be able to supply a speaker for your group of lake association.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: