View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 05:47 AM   #37
ApS

Arrow Life in the Florida Keys after Hurricane Irma...

Not forgetting how the Florida Keys was hit first—and badly.

Quote:
"To neighbors and friends chomping at the bit to drive down and camp out;

My son and I just drove out of the Keys yesterday from the Lower Keys. We quickly ran out of food and water and there are no supplies - survival became our focus instead of clean up. You cannot flush your toilet and no way to rinse off after working in the blistering heat all day. Our house was 82-84 degrees at night and no breeze - it stinks of rotting debris. We had dead parrot fish on our street and yard. The mosquitoes should be showing up in force in the next day or two and you may not have screens remaining on your windows.

"I'm suggesting as was mentioned above it's not a good idea to travel to the Keys until power and water are established. If you come you will soon wish you hadn't. After [Hurricane] Georges in 98 my wife and I remained in place on West Indies Dr. and started the cleanup immediately after. We had no power for 3 weeks but most importantly we always had water pressure so quality of life was tolerable. The devastation we are facing now is far greater than what we experienced during Georges and has also affected the entire state.

"You'll have a challenge finding an open gas station between Orlando and Key Largo - they are few and far between and hotel rooms in all of South FL are scarce.

"If you go, be prepared for what you are getting into..."

The photo below is of a friend's house. It had a new galvanized roof which is now resting on the 1st floor of a 2-story house.

The 2nd floor simply blew away.

Attached Images