View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 07:45 PM   #23
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Over the past several months, we have seen several physicians interviewed re the use of hydrochloroquine in the treatment of Covid-19, and they made very compelling arguments for some remarkable results when used with another drug and when used early in the diagnosric process. They certainly did not come across as “quacks”. I am not a physician, and I don’t pretend to be an expert on this, but we found it odd...more than odd, in fact that a number of states outlawed its use for this disease until very recently. My interest in this on this forum is not intended to stir the political pot, but the issue is germane to residents of the lakes region as we deal with this pandemic. It makes no sense to me to limit the use of hydrochloroquine, a relatively inexpensive drug, when it has allegedly had remarkable success with many patients. Maybe we can hear from some local physicians on this.
Virtually any drug, even a sugar pill, will show excellent results on a small number of patients. Our system insists on clinical trials so that these random occurrences do not end up setting health policy or drug approvals. I'm sure my Republican friend Maxum, who works for a clinical trials company, will concur here

Better than local physicians, who are subject to the same kind of anecdotal distortions, let's hear from the FDA. They've said that there are serious safety risks and no proven benefit. I hope that folks will read the link and also remember that the FDA leadership is controlled by the President. The President lets the FDA discourage its use because he knows he was wrong to tout it during the "this will all be over by Easter" phase.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safet...tal-setting-or
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post: