View Single Post
Old 04-07-2004, 09:57 PM   #7
dcr
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
thanks dcr, as always, for the information. Surely you must have a photo or a map that you could post and share with us! Have you been hiking much lately? How is the snow on the trails? .....and no blackflies yet. mcdude
Coincidentally, McDude, I did hike up the western slope of Gunstock this morning. On the higher elevations there is still some snow - but there isn't much and it's no great hindrance; the real problem is the ice found in any spot where the snow has been packed down and has crystalized into ice, or where the alternate melting and freezing which is occurring right now collects to any degree - that can be treacherous if you aren't alert.

The last time I climbed Green Mountain was several decades ago, and I wasn't taking pictures then. Speaking of maps, I have made a hiker's map of the trails of the Belknap Range (and maps of the Ossipee Range & Red Hill - available, eventually, from the LRCT) and if anyone who hikes the Belknaps would like one, the Gilford Library makes copies of that map and sells them, at cost, as a public service to its patrons (or anyone who asks, I think).

Last edited by dcr; 04-08-2004 at 06:37 AM.
dcr is offline   Reply With Quote