View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #1025
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
First of all, Stationary radar assignment is the safest and preferred method of speed/traffic enforcement. When you "use the car taxpayers provide you" you then have TWO people speeding and driving like idiots. How fast do you think a trooper needs to drive to catch up to a vehicle traveling 84 mph from a standing start? Easily around 100 mph, yeah thats way smarter than standing in the breakdown lane with a Neon green traffic vest that says "State Police" which, mind you, most drivers that are paying attention will easily see and slow down for. This is evidenced by the fact that, as we all know, there is a mini traffic jam every time rubberneckers see blue lights.

Second, there is a big push nation wide and certaininly state wide (with the new driving and texting law) to enforce distracted driving. The unsafe lane change needed to be noted and cited to prove the texting was a distraction.

Third, when a police officer has an interaction with someone that is either on probation or parole red flags pop up in the computer and very often dictate special considerations ie, calling of a probation officer, checking on pre and post trial release conditions, bail conditions etc...

Respectfully,
HCG
Let's cut to the chase. Speeding violations are revenue enhancement.

Cops run 100MPH everyday to catch speeders every day. If traffic is heavy, the brake lights and slinky effect from the police car in the median or side of the road is actually as much of a hazard as the speeding, etc. There's a reason civil engineers design lanes to keep traffic moving.

I'm not debating that texting is unsafe. But, how many times are cops on their phone or radio while on patrol where technology exists to prevent it? Just playing devils advocate. I also think she was an idiot for breaking even a jaywalking law for someone in her circumstance. Negligent driving sounds like a stretch to me and if she did not have a hit, would have driven away with a speeding fine. Give her the big fat ticket for speeding and move on.

There are much better techniques to catch speeders than standing anywhere on I-93. State Police vest is highly visible? What about to the person riding next to SUVs or tractor trailers and the drivers view of anyone on the side of the road is blocked? May be safer on slower streets but on the highway, absolutely not.
The Following User Says Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post: