View Single Post
Old 06-26-2021, 07:42 PM   #1
WillyK

Default A very troubling unfolding scam

I wanted to share a troubling situation unfolding this evening, see if anyone has experienced the same.

We own a lakefront property in Moultonborough, but are not there this weekend. Our outdoor camera noticed a car pulling into the driveway. Two guys and two dogs wandering around, trying the doors. I used the audio feature on the camera to reach out. One of the gentlemen engaged and indicated that he was at the right address. I gave him my phone number, and he called.

Well, turns out this super nice guy, and his whole family (wife, buddy, 5 teenage boys, a brother flying in tomorrow from Chicago, and more) had rented OUR property from someone for the next 12 days. They had been exchanging emails and phone calls and payments with the supposed homeowner since February. As recently as this morning(!) they were on the phone confirming whether enough bedding was available. Ugh.

Clearly a scam. The wife did the booking, and doesn’t know which site it was from, but is going to look it up, I encouraged her to send me the info so we can make sure it’s not still listed. And of course told her we’d vouch as homeowners if the police need to ask any questions, etc.

I feel so horrible that this lovely family is, as we speak, having their big summer vacation evaporate out from under them. Breaks my heart. Now my wife is sitting here crying and cursing the psychotic perversion of scammers would would take advantage of families like this.

This home was on the market late last year (we bought in November). I highly suspect the scammers took the MLS listing photos, and use them to create a fake rental listing, craft rental contracts, answer questions, they used Venmo to accept down payments and final payments. Pretty elaborate and I can understand how someone could get taken in.

I will update here if we get any more info. But has anyone else encountered personally or heard of this kind of scam in our region?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WillyK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WillyK For This Useful Post: