View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #29
Phantom

okay -- let me share some "first hand info" --

1) I have a DJI Phantom 3
2) our place is essentially at the foot of KLCI's runway
3) technically, no matter what the capability of the drone is - the FAA mandates (as a hobbyist) that you do not fly above 400' & always keep it visible to the operator (note there is no low level restriction and "supposedly" you are to keep it in sight).
4) As wiezy above mentions, if you are to fly within 5 miles of an airport "you are REQUIRED" to notify them in advance

Now with the above said,

I personally visited and talked to the KLCI Airport manager who was EXTREMELY helpful & a nice guy .............. with respect to my situation being so close to the airport (and I would suspect this true of Gilford Beach & Fay's) I was requested to stay UNDER 100' after notifying them ... and obviously no where near "Runway Heading". The quandary however remained crossing Helicopters - where I was requested simply to be diligent and drop down (even from 100').

Best of all -- there is an App called "AirMap" which once signed up (it's free) you can file a legitimate Flight Plan for the drone and there is an option which AUTOMATICLY notifies KLCI. The automatic filing does not apply to all airports but in the App you can distinguish which do vs. do not

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airm...042824733?mt=8

One word of caution about the App -- I would highly suggest that you verify that the Flight Plans are being filed at least once -- in my case, I thought they were going through when in reality (due to an improper App setting) in reality they were not.

Hope this helps .... the more we all know & fly responsibly the less likelihood for further regulations !

Last edited by Phantom; 09-05-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote