View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #22
Wiezy

Default Airport for Hobbyist Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
Have the rules changed in reference to regulation for flying near an airport? One of our dockmates at Fays has a new drone and it would not allow him to fly in Smith Cove due to the Laconia airport. The Gilford beach is even closer to the airport then Smith Cove. A few feet anyways!
As long as they are flying as a hobbyist, they only need to notify the Laconia airport. This isn't a request for authorization, but a notification - i.e. the airport cannot say you can't fly. You cannot operate the drone so it interferes with a manned aircraft, so flying within flight paths is prohibited of course.

The DJI app may alert you that it is within 5 miles of the airport, but it shouldn't prohibit you from flying. I'm not an expert, however, so refer to the FAA website or contact the UAS helpline directly at UAShelp@faa.gov

I have emailed with them as well as spoken with them on the phone, and they are really a helpful group. I haven't spoken with the Laconia airport folks (I'm flying outside of the 5 mile radius), but the two county airports I call regularly from my parent's and in-law's houses have always been great about thanking me for the call.

From https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/
Quote:
when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower [...] with prior notice of the operation
Wiezy is offline   Reply With Quote