View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 06:48 AM   #24
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
I hnow there is a lot of controversy regarding wearing a pfd whenever you are on the water (boat and dock) but for a good read, try "Suddenly Overboard" by Tom Lochhaas. Fascinating stories about boaters who met an untimely, quirky fate who probably would have survived had they been wearing a pfd...one story in particular about someone who sailed around the world and survived numerous close calls, only to arrive back in his home port and slip getting into his dink, hit his head and drown! Had he been wearing a pfd, which he did the entire sailing trip, he probably would have survived.
When I was going through US Navy boot camp of course we are trained to survive on the water and put into situations not typically experienced while engaging in recreationally. Several things struck me as I was going through this - mind you at 18 years old and an avid swimmer. Treading water for 20+ minutes starts to tire you out, and that is in a climate controlled flat calm pool. What this gentleman did in saving the life of the other who fell overboard is exceptionally difficult as we also were trained in these scenarios. The difference here is that we were first trained with 100 lb sand bags, then eventually with a partner in the water with NO PFD or floatation help whatsoever. Treading water for just a few minutes with a person your size and weight is incredibly difficult with no help at all. Having just one of those throwables makes a HUGE difference. Now consider this, if one of the individuals involved had special needs and was not used to being in or comfortable in the water what's the likelihood that the deceased gentleman was not just struggling to save this individual, but struggling physically with a person who may very well have been in a panic as well.

The man who died is a true hero for what he did, and while his loss of life is so tragic and sad, his family can at least know he gave his life to save another.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: