View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #179
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Well that is not cool, I just did out a nice formula calculation to show the angle between the two boats with the distance between them and the mp, but when I pressed post "POOF" gone. So anyway here it is again, slightly shortened out of frustration.

boat a 150 feet

boat b 250 feet

150/250=0.6

sin-1 (0.6)= 36.87 This is the angle between the two boats from the MP's point of view.

tan(36.87)=0.75
0.75 x 150 = 112.5 feet apart

This only works if the MP can prove a right triangle existed, not likely. By the time the MP referenced the trig chart or punched everything into the calculator the two boats in question would be far enough away that a chase may not be practical. They better show their work in court if they want credit.

There are other formulas for determining the open legs of isosceles, acute and obtuse triangles but we will keep todays lesson simple.
Thanks for confirming, mathmatically, what Skip said. I forgot about the right angle thing and you are right. I would be willing to bet though that some MP may try this tactic and now we are all forewarned. It is an interesting question though, how WOULD an MP be able to prove that you are 150' from anything? No land markers are available, I wonder if anyone ever went to court and questioned a MP's judgement of distance without points of reference? Sorry for being off topic but I don't feel like being just a statistic for soemone else's poor distance or for that matter speed estimation. Just like land radar I am sure all the calibrations must be done on the LIDAR or whatever before a conviction could be made. Question Authority!

Just to be on topic. I don't own one, but I like performance boats.

Last edited by Pineedles; 07-17-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling