Thread: Oil Change Cost
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2022, 05:44 PM   #17
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
Like so many things, there isn't a single fits-all answer to oil change intervals.

If I had to generalize, if you are running a modern car with synthetic oil, nobody has to change faster than 5,000 miles. I generally start thinking about it at somewhere over 4,000, get around to it somewhere in the high 4's. Contrary to what you were told the automakers aren't evil geniuses that don't care if their engines fail after the warranty. Their recommendations can definitely be followed, but I choose to not push it to the max since in the course of a year changing oil a bit sooner doesn't cost much. On my diesel trucks I'd go 6-7,000 miles. One exception was a Chevy Tahoe that had the cylinder deactivation "feature", they were prone to failure and pretty solid evidence that 3,000 mile changes would tend to avoid that problem.

If you are interested enough to prove the point on a specific interval, you can do used oil analysis (UOA) to see what kind of life your oil has left and what if any wear is happening in your engine.
^^^ this

short trips and a lot of sitting can create a lot of condensation so I change the oil in my jeep once a year, even though I might only drive it 1000 miles, but my car that gets a lot of highway miles with long trips I go about 6000 -7000 and rotate the tires every other time.

my chevy truck which has the cylinder shut off mentioned above I go by the change indictor which is generally about 5000

I miss when we would use the old oil as undercoating
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote