View Single Post
Old 10-10-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
MeredithMan

Default Welcome to Vermont!

So some of you may recall a prior post I put up back in the Springtime about my son moving to Vermont and looking for a place to live. Ultimately, that was sorted out and he moved in to a great place in Rutland and has been enjoying his job at GE and getting to know his new surroundings.

Back in March, not yet having secured the GE job in VT, but knowing he would need a car upon graduation, he bought a new Honda Pilot SUV here in NH. He registered it in NH, since he anticipated living with his mom and me. He got the GE VT job, moved over there, and last week finally went to register the car in VT. Much to his surprise, (and to mine and his mother's), he had to fork over $2400 in VT state sales tax on the car in order to register it!! (6% sales tax X $40K value).

He told the DMV person that he didn't try to pull a fast one by buying the car in "no sales tax NH"...he was actually living here and didn't know he would end up in VT and that it was completely unfair to pay VT sales tax when nothing about his car purchase had anything to do with VT. He ended up maxing out his two credit cards in order to pay the sales tax! The DMV person said they give you credit for the sales tax you paid in the previous state where you bought the car, but since NH doesn't have a sales tax, "you have to pay ".

The rules are the rules, but it's really outrageous!
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote