View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I totally disagree that had they developed a park "they would get nothing". Your answer was the one given when Alton passed on the opportunity in order to generate more property taxes. However, what has happened is the money found its way into the budget and was spent unwisely and the town is no better off. $250,000 annually is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

The truth is Alton's economics are driven largely by tourism and having a beautiful park looking down the middle of Lake Winnipesaukee would have greatly enhanced its reputation as a tourism destination. Meredith is a wonderful example of the way things should be done. Laconia is 180 degrees in the other direction. Alton is somewhere in between. In the long-term the economics of any town are driven by how that town is viewed by the public. The Bahre estate did nothing to enhance Alton's reputation. Missing this once in a lifetime opportunity was a travesty.
It always saddens me to see towns pass on once-in-a-lifetime/irretrievable opportunities. A parcel that size could have been used for events that I'm sure would have made it incredibly useful, if not profitable.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk