View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #33
DRH

Default Power Back in Alton!

Our power in West Alton went out around midnight on Thursday, 12/11. It came back on around 2:00 PM this afternoon (Sat.), then went out again for about an hour, then came back around 3:00 PM and this time it appears to be holding. I'm told the entire town of Alton was out for this duration, something about the main power feed lines to Alton from the Portsmouth area being badly damaged. I have not confirmed this information, but it was provided to me by a member of the Alton Fire Dept.

We listened to our portable scanner quite a bit during the power outage and the number of downed trees, wires and poles was simply amazing. It seems to me that the power company crews have done a remarkable job getting things repaired as quickly as they have. NH Electric Coop (which supplies power to Alton) brought in crews from Vermont and NY to assist.

A PSNH representative was quoted in today's Citizen saying that this ice storm created "the largest single power outage in the state's history". The article went on to say that (at press time) nearly 320,000 PSNH customers were without power". Apparently the Citizen did not contact NH Electric Coop, as there was nothing mentioned in the entire front-page article about the Alton area.