View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts

To trfour all I can say is...thanks Dad

In other news, I just got back from a quick 24 hour trip to the lake. I got a lot accomplished including the consumption of a double-stuffed lobster roll at Waldo Peppers. If you haven't tried one you're missing something spectacular. Thanks Pepper and it was great to see you!

I also made a lot of progress on the new WeirsCAM. I ran 200 feet of new cabling from the Anchor Marine office to the roof of the pier, mounted the new camera in the old enclosure without trouble and actually got it working. That was more than I expected and I'm now testing it and figuring out how to best display the larger images. It may be that I need to go back up and adjust the lens for the best focus and f-stop before I get the optimum picture. I didn't have time to do that today and need some time for that and to test a second lens I have for it. I also need time to see if the temp/humidity sensor is usable since there was no good way to mount it or get it's big connector into the old camera enclosure. For now I left it off.

While I get everything ready for the new images the WeirsCAM page will not be updating. It may take a few days and I'll post a note about it on the current image.

The other exciting news is that the new server is here, at least physically! I have a mountain of work (and learning) to do before it's ready but it is definitely my "dream" server and I'm excited to get going on it. After all the initial loading and configuring I plan to install the latest versions of all the site's software and get everything up to date while I have the chance. I also run several other sites on my server and I have to make the transition as smooth as possible for them.

All this is going to take quite a while to do in my spare time. It could be 2 weeks, 2 months or maybe more so please be patient. I'll make announcements on the Forum and elsewhere on the site when it's coming since everything could be down for a day or two as I switch over.

Once that is done this forum, PhotoPost and the rest of the site should fly. Without getting too technical this is a dual Xeon 3.2 processor Dell server (picture below) that should provide much more power and capacity than we'll ever need. In fact it could be overkill. I could never have afforded a server like this without the generous help of "codeman671" who knew that I was in need and arranged an incredible deal. Without his help a server like this would not have been possible. Thanks again codeman671!

That's the news for tonight.

Don

Last edited by webmaster; 06-10-2005 at 12:44 AM.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote