View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Keep an eye on Craigslist too.

One thing to keep in mind, in that price range chances are whatever is found will more than likely need some work which may end up being more of an expense and headache than it's worth. All depends on what it may need. Still I think he'd need to be in the $2500 to $4000 range to get something relatively turn key, reliable, and not a complete basket case.
I do agree with this.

Unless you have a relative or neighbor with an older car for sale with the amount you stated you will end up with a car that will need tons of work and you end up spending about the same amount as stated above.

I have found 5 cars for young relatives in the past few years. All under $3,500.00. But it takes a lot of time and many look sees to find any good one. Look sees are wasted time as seller exagerates as to condition.

All the cars I found were stock unmodified all original cars from the first owner with all maintenance records. Not an easy task. If you can find such the maintenance records are crucial. And even after finding such cars money has to be set aside for new plugs/wires, maybe brakes, and maybe tires.

If you have no experience with such then take any found car to an idependent mechanic and have it checked out.

In this price range you really need a good independent mechanic.

Good luck.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote