View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
One thing I try to do is communicate well with the other boaters on the lake. If I am heading toward another boat, regardless who is the give way boat, I alter my direction one time enough to show my intended course. If they are paying attention they know where I am going. 75% of the time this generates a reaction from the other boat and we pass knowing exactly what each other is doing. If I don’t get a response I figure they don’t see me, or don’t care, and do what I have to do to pass safely.
This such a simple thing to do, and a great habit to have. I do the same. A give-way captain made a very obvious course correction to starboard, about 1/4 mile from me just yesterday and I appreciated it and waved as he passed behind me. I also noticed a few give-way captains that simply sped up, well in advance of potential crossing situations, simply to avoid having to give-way (can't have an accident if you are not there...). I appreciate that as well. I often do the same if I cannot turn to starboard safely.