View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Some people are naturally good at working with machines; you know the type, they can easily figure out how to operate a backhoe, a snowmobile, a table saw, an arc welder, a wakeboard, a motorcycle, an ATV, a car with a stick-shift, etc. There's something in them that makes these tasks intuitive, easy and fun for them.
Good post Dave.

I am one of these people. It's hard for me to understand why everyone can't think like me (SIC) 10 min in to operating my new boat this year I felt 100% comfortable and completely understood it's operation. I like docking in the wind, launching at a tricky ramp and I love the fact that all the inside spots in Wolfeboro are usually open while people wait for the end spots.

My father is the opposite and I grew up with LOTS of drama while boating on the ocean. We hit rocks, other boats, sandbars, etc. We were the cap'n boneheads. This all stopped when I became the designated captain at about 16yo.

Maybe this is why I have never been scared on the lake. Cap'n BHs just don’t appear in an instant they can bee seen coming at you or from behind you for quite a while. I can usually profile them pretty well and figure "This guy" is going to do something stupid. I have seen many stupid moves over the years but none of them really "surprised" me. I can spot an anchor marine rental boat a half mile away. I figure I have a good minute before he "cuts right in front of me"

Please don’t take this post as arrogant as it sounds. It's just the way my brain works. I COMPLETELY understand other people don’t think this way!!!

One thing I try to do is communicate well with the other boaters on the lake. If I am heading toward another boat, regardless who is the give way boat, I alter my direction one time enough to show my intended course. If they are paying attention they know where I am going. 75% of the time this generates a reaction from the other boat and we pass knowing exactly what each other is doing. If I don’t get a response I figure they don’t see me, or don’t care, and do what I have to do to pass safely.

I think an advanced boating course would benefit a lot of boaters. Not the kind that goes over the rules of the road, and all that stuff that tries to force you in to being a safe boater. We need a course that helps people understand boating so the safe behavior comes naturally. It really just comes down to communicating with the other boats on the lake.

The course could cover…

What happens when you cross a wake at an angle?
How to dock in the wind?
Why does my boat back up better to the left?
How to read another boaters mind!!!!
How are my actions going to be perceived by the "other guy"?
Am I adding confusion to the situation?
The Following User Says Thank You to 4Fun For This Useful Post: