View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Take it in and out of gear while backing to keep the speed down. Some deep-V boats with single stern drives tend to back in a straight line, but with the boat skewed (crabbing) if allowed to build enough speed. Mine does this wickedly. I suspect that's what's happening to yours. With light (engine at idle) bursts of thrust, the boat will simply follow the propeller(s). The other option is to use a spring line and power to spin the boat around 180 degrees after going on the "inside".

Strive to have a helper with a boat hook and a big fender at hand in close quarters, regardless...
You've pretty much described my problem I think. I keep thinking that no thrust equates to no control so I hesitate to throw it into neutral in order to slow down. I will try to work on that and pop it in and out of gear more frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I practice this same "ship handling" in my little 20 footer by going over to the Wolfeboro docks on a weekday and doing docking drills. Just drive the boat all the way in and practice "backing & filling"... turning the boat around in it's own length then driving out and then repeating the drill a few times before moving on.
You are correct, I do need to practice more. Probably something I can work on after Labor Day when the traffic lightens up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSnake View Post
Wolfeboro Baja - I think what you are describing is oversteer - easy to do in a boat in both directions. The key (for me at least) to backing out straight is make sure the stern drive is pointing straight to start with (I can't see mine due to swim platform - so I just count the sterring wheel revolutions lock to lock and divide by 2 - to center the wheel/drive).

(text skipped)

I find that minimal sterring corection is required. Also if you need to make adjustment make small ones - and return the stern drive to straight once you see the stern of the boat respond to each adjustment (helps to keep the bow from swinging around).

Hope this helps...

PS. remember any docking you can walk away from is a good one
You're right, it does help to have the drive straight before moving away from the dock. I usually check the drive position while I'm still on the dock (like you, I can't see the drive from the driver's seat) before I even fire the engine and if it needs to be adjusted, I then go back to double-check the position. Regarding your P.S., it's not getting to the dock, it's leaving and having to back out between two boats that makes me nervous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
A boat hook is an excellent idea... after finding myself last year doing a lot of solo boating I invested in one of these gems.... it is an added comfort blanket when in tigt quarters..... I bought it after a close call... that cause me great anxiety.... no I pull it out, get it extended so I can reach past the other side of the boat.... when I am solo and slowly proceed.... as many have said the urge to over steer cause a lot off issues, but having devices such as boat hooks and bumpers, help a lot, to calm the nerves......
I DO need to invest in a boat hook and learn the best ways and times to use it.

I apologize to the Dave R for dragging this off topic; it was not my intention. Thank you all for the great suggestions and advice. We now return you to your regularly sheduled programming!!