View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Is there a loon conservationist that can determine if a resue is needed?
I hope rescue will not be necessary. I hope that the chick will be able to take off on it's own. That being said, there is a very strong possibility that will be needed. I am not a professional conservationist but I do know quite a bit about loons. As a wildlife photographer it helps me to know as much as I can about the habits and abilities of my subjects.

Loons are very strong fliers; however they are not very good at taking off, due to their heavy body weight and small wings. The heavy body weight is due in large part to the fact that they have solid bones unlike most other species of birds that have hollow bones. The heavy solid bones make them excellent divers and handicaps their ability to take off.

Loons weigh close to 10 lbs. with a 46-inch wingspan. To put this in context, Great Blue Herons average 5.3 pounds with a 72-inch wingspan. Loons have trouble flying if only one flight feather is missing.

Once the lake starts to freeze; if it is still out there, it will need to be rescued.