Thread: VHF Radio
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #21
Misty Blue

Default Radio calls, 101

Todays VHF radios are full of features. Way more than we can cover here. But here are some basics on how they work and how to use them.

First, when you turn on your VHF it will come up with channel 16. They are made to do that. Channel 16 is the emergency/hailing frequency. That means that when you have it on and someone is in trouble they will call on CH 16 and you will hear them. If someone calls to contact you personally you will hear them and then CHANGE TO AN ALTENNATE CHANNEL!.

To illustrate I will make a call to "The Boss" from my boat to hers. Here goes...

DAVE: " Deb's Joy, Debs Joy, Deb's Joy...This is Misty Blue channel 1-6, over."

I said channel 16 because she may be monitoring several channels and I have now told her which channel that I was on. She now knows to shift to CH 16 to get me. If she did not reply I will repeat the message once a minute for three trys. After that wait a reasonable time to try again.

DEB: " Misty Blue this is Deb's Joy. Please change to channel 68, over."

We are now going to communicate on CH 68 and leave CH 16 free for distress or hailing.

Note that we said "OVER" at the end of each line.. That let's the other person know that you have "un-keyed" youe mic. and are ready to listen.

At the end of the communication I may say something like "Thanks Deb's Joy, this is Misty Blue, OUT".

Out means that I am done with this conversation and am returning to CH-16 to monitor for emergencies or hailing.

BTW "Over and Out" is only for Hollywood.

'Hope this helps.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post: