View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #8
Top-Water

You might be playing with fire if you do not have keen understanding of how the throttle / carburetors and ignition timing are synchronized on an older outboard 2 cycle engine.

I would not recommend playing with or adjusting anything you don't completely understand, it's not a matter of just getting the throttle to open up more because of something like a stretched cable which I doubt has happened.

A great deal of the horsepower on a outboard motor comes from proper ignition timing in relationship to throttle position vs engine rpm.

Without a transmission like a car or motorcycle, ignition timing is used to help the outboard engine make power at different throttle positions.

You might even get the engine to run "awesomely" for awhile (like it has never ran before) with just some guesswork adjustments but are actually just destroying the engine with out even knowing it.

Be careful playing with it, very special tools are needed to get it back to factory settings to insure the engine has a long lifespan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad sold the C * C View Post
It could be the cable, or it could be whatever the cable moves in the motor.
Often on mercury outboards of this size/generation and age of engine it also moves the trigger mechanism under the flywheel. Admittedly I do not know how OMC does it.

Good advice as mentioned above, an OMC expert.
http://runneroutboards.com
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post: