View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 09:56 AM   #23
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
My father and I made one of those disks in the early 60s. We all learned to ride on it. My brother was the best at it and still uses it today. He can do all the 360 turns, stand on a chair on the disk and do the turns as well. But the best trick of all is that he can dive the disk under the water, with the water up to his neck and come up again. My daughter's first experience was on the disk, standing between my brothers legs. That old piece of plywood has its original paint, somewhat worn and a lot of memories.
Same here IG.I made my first one about 1970.About 4 ft in diameter.I painted it a yellow smiley face .That disc got a lot of use but one day stands out in particular.I was being whipped around in a 360 for speed and went for quite a spill.The disc submarined and when I popped my head out of the water to look around,the thing came popping out of the water and cracked me right between the eyes,opening up a nice gash on my forehead.I also had a toboggen that was made from a flat sheet of plywood.We had the same submarining incident a few times on that toy until one day the toboggen never came to the surface.It had inbedded itself deep into the muddy bottom of our shallow lake.There was no getting it out so we cut the line and made a new one!What fun we had on homemade toys! SS