View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #32
Resident 2B

The fact that the current speed limit law is the first in a series of laws, not aimed at safety, but instead at the exclusion of certain types of boats from the lake is the reason I am totally opposed to the extension of the speed limit law.

Boating safety should be the only focus of the legislature. The current speed limit law was not designed to improve safety. It was designed to knock certain boats off the biggest lake in NH. To me, this is all about an improper and un-American restriction of personal freedom, the right to safely operate a certain type of boat in NH.

This is also the first in a series of laws the supporters of Winnfabs have planned, as evidenced in the referenced post above. The first in a series of proposed laws that are targeted in restricting the rights of several types of boats Winnfabs does not like. I realize that a few Winnfabs members own waterfront properties on Winnipesaukee, but they do not own the whole lake.

To me, a Vietnam veteran who owns lake front property on Lake Winnespaukee, this is a clear attack on the rights of American citizens ability to use a resource that should be open to all citizens. This is an attack on the personal freedoms of Americans who happen to own a particular type of boat, and they, the Speed Limit supporters, freely admit it!!!

The USCG has rules that address safe boating. NH should adopt these rules and stop what might go down in history as the modern day version of the Salem Witch Trials. The 150 foot rule in place, the education program in place and the existing USCG rules are all focused on boating safety. Hopefully the NH law makers will see this and do the correct thing in the interest of freedom.

For the record, I do not own and have never been in a GFBL boat, so I am not directly impacted. As an American, I believe the current Speed Limit law is being there for all the wrong reasons.

R2B

Last edited by Resident 2B; 11-25-2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Trying to stay within the rules I just read...sorry Don
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post: