View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 03:39 PM   #52
winni83

Here is my experience with changing propane suppliers and the tank ownership issue.

With our old house we had two above ground tanks. Changing suppliers was relatively easy. New company came and installed their tanks and disconnected and moved away from the house the two tanks belonging to the prior supplier. Called the prior supplier to come and get the two tanks. Nothing happened for weeks. Called again and said that we had noticed some kids fooling around with them and raised the danger issues. Tanks were removed promptly after that.

With new house, we have a 500 gallon underground tank, owned by the propane supplier. After much dissatisfaction over the propane rates, decided to switch to Rymes, but only if Rymes would buy out, or do whatever the companies do, to transfer ownership of the tank. I did not want to have it dug up and replaced. Much foot dragging by the prior supplier in contacting Rymes. Many E Mails and phone calls later, including one to a corporate higher up threatening to complain to the State that the prior company was intentionally dragging its feet to hold us hostage, the prior company contacted Rymes and the two companies made their deal and Rymes had to do a cathodic test on the underground tank, which came back fine. Tank was only 4 years old at the time of transfer, so I do not know how the age of an underground tank impacts on the transfer issue. Obviously an underground tank complicates the transfer issue. We decided for various reasons that we did not want to own the tank and for aesthetics we did not want an above ground tank.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote