View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #54
CentreHarborEric

Default Media, perception

I agree with the posts on here taking an optimistic approach. If you look at the "feeder" markets to Winni, where tourists and second homeowners most likely travel from (i.e. MA, RI, CT, and NY/PA to a lesser extent), jobs and the economies are holding up OK, despite the bad press. MA especially has to date bucked the rising unemployment trend seen in the US as a whole.
Unfortunately, people probably expect another shoe to drop in their worlds based on the news they read and hear, so they are probably ratcheting down in anticipation, even if they haven't been negatively affected beyond gas price increases.
There's some election year news cycle bias at work here for sure (not to get political on it), sensationalism over the rise in gas prices (pretty easy to put up some video of $4/gas signs on the side of the road and interview some drivers) and the fact that everyone is affected in some way by gas prices.
BUT, the NH boating season is short, and by my calcs, gas isn't the number one cost of ownership (for most boats), especially if you are carrying a note. Slips, storage, service, insurance are all more or less fixed costs, gas might be 25-40% more than last year, but even with this accounted for, why wouldn't you run the boat (if you've put the boat in the water, serviced it and will store it at the end of the season), especially if traffic is down and the lake is presumably even more enjoyable as a result? Maybe run it a little more conservatively, but enjoy it!
This was always an expensive hobby, and the incremental increase in fuel will probably flush out some folks who were just able to afford it @ $2 or $3/gallon. I expect the warm water and school vacation to stir up the activity and for this summer to be busy, just not quite as busy as the past few.
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote