View Single Post
Old 08-16-2023, 07:38 PM   #87
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I register my documented boat in NH, but I only put the stickers on, no bow numbers/letters. I'm not 100% certain I even need to register it in any state, but I do, just in case. I've been boarded by the CG and they have no issue with any of this. State MP has never stopped me, so I'm not sure how they feel.
In every major waterfront state I am aware of you are required to register a USCG documented boat with the state. You are also prohibited from displayed state reg "bow" numbers on a documented boat. Essentially, it is an either/or approach to how you register and title the vessel. The state really only cares about getting their taxes, so as long as you're displaying your appropriately colored registration sticker for the state I can't imagine any state agency caring about the bow numbers.

There would be no real benefit to having a documented boat on an inland lake that has no USCG presence. Would just add more annual registration hassle to renew the USCG docs, granted minor hassle, but still.