View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post
Generally like your post, but am curious about what you mean here. It seems you say kayaks (which is my main water transportation) should not venture out where the motorboats are (not sure, maybe you mean only on weekends?).

I'm getting to the point where I want some experience on the big lake. It seems as if you believe I should stay on shoreline routes. Sometimes yes, but sometimes I like being out on the water. Do you mean that because there are a lot of motorboats, they should be able to scare away the kayaks/canoes?

I also ride my bike sometimes, and often feel motorists feel I should stay on the sidewalks... which I disagree with.

I'm thinking "tolerance" here, not "kayakers putting boaters in their place".

I won't speak for Steve, but I am pretty sure he is speaking of a discussion we had in the past. Where we were saying it is perfectly fine if you want to venture out into big water however there are areas of the lake where powerboats can only go, where kayakers and canoes can go anywhere.

For example heading from Little Bear island to Long Island Bridge, or if you venture up into the bays heading towards Suissvale and Greens Basin. In those areas there is a very wide berth that kayakers and non-motor boats can travel, where powerboats have to stay in the channel.

It is common courtosey for a kayaker to stay outside the channel so that all powerboats do not have to slow to headway speed, because it isn't like they can go around for they are in a channel.

Some kayakers whether on purpose to make a point or just don't know better find themselves on a busy weekend smack dab in the middle of the channels causing back ups for a dozen boats long which is a saftey issue in itself because this is an area that most people are going on plane speed.

Just a little common courtosey and respect both ways.

Also if you are in big water PLEASE make sure your kayak is not blue with blue life jackets! (no kidding 4th of July weekend, middle of the broads in a chop 2 kayakers doing just that!)

so commen sense as well.