View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 07:44 AM   #53
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post

While I don't think it will happen anytime soon, if boats continue to get bigger and bigger I would not be surprised to start seeing a move to impose some type of tax based on length, beam, and/or displacement - or perhaps even limits on size. The logic would be that bigger boats take up a disproportionate share of public spaces; for example, a boat like the one in this thread would take up (my guess) four or more spaces at a public dock and the equivalent number of mooring spaces on a sandbar.

I am not advocating for such a tax or ban, merely pointing out that regulation only comes about when conditions warrant them. Very few politicians take positions that buck the will of their constituents. And, those that do are not in office for too long.

Bottom line to me - if someone wants to bring a boat I feel is way too big for the lake, so be it. Until and unless something changes, that is his/her right to do so. I'll both admire it and roll my eyes when it goes by - and wish I owned such a vessel so I could do the Great Loop!
Well, in effect there already is a tax based on size, heads, Etc when you register the boat.

When you have a bigger boat you know you can't expect 4 (your number) of spaces to open up at the same time in any public dock. So you don't even attempt to do that.

The movement of this boat will also create significant fuel taxes, business income taxes, overtime for police, cable workers, and telephone linemen.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote