Thread: Radar Useful?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 02:24 PM   #24
Rich

I can add to this for the newer RADAR units:

This past weekend I was onboard a friends boat that had the newest solid state doppler radar. It sure was much improved from my older analog (2005) Radar!

It seemed to be able to see almost every boat around (with minimal testing. just a seat of the pants observation). Even the small fiberglass boats that my older unit would often miss.

Radar is very useful at night, and has been even useful during the day to notice that someone has snuck up quickly behind you. Since we don't have rear-view mirrors on most boats you actually have to turn your body around to see if someone is close behind you. Radar let's you see/notice this without having to rotate around to take a look, so it's often useful for this. Not to mention if someone is approaching you from a side, etc.

The newer doppler radar can automatically highlight (color) boats going away from you. vs coming towards you. This adds to their situational awareness and seems very helpful.

After this short session on my friends boat, I'm looking forward to updating my electronics on my boat a bit more than i was before I had the short demo.