View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Oh well, 3 generations at camp lawrence

My uncle was a counselor back in the 30's, I went there in the 50's and my son went there in the 80's (daughter to Nokomis).

My first summer, I cried. Not when we left the dock to go out. When I had to come home after two weeks. Next year, my folks scraped up enough for me to stay for a month. the next two years was all summer, understanding that C/L was my Christmas and Birthday presents combined. That is where I learned to waterski, row a boat, paddle a canoe, sailed (1 session...never heard the sound so I didn't "duck the boom" ), riflery, archery, swimming and diving, camping, hiking, hiking up Mt Washington 3 times and Mt Chocorua 4 times (at least). Overnights in the Pemigewasset Wilderness at Ethan Allen Pond. Counselors who were a ball to be around, liked to work with kids, had a lot of pride in the camp and its facilities. Did I mention the 'bat hunts' in the mess hall? Get up on the table with a broom in your hand at night, and when they turned the lights on, try to whack a bat or two. They sure made a mess out of the tables.

A ton of great memories and they flood back anytime we head over to Bear Is.

Thanks Mr & Mrs Tinker, whereever you are!