Thread: Laconia and pot
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #17
ApS

Question Britain's House of Lords Report: Is It Schizophrenia or Pot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Some people like Pot, Some people don't.... It is what it is. As long as the Police have a way to test someone operating a motor vehicle while high on Pot, I don't really care....That being said, the Mayor, City Council & Zoning Board all need to be proactive when it comes to anything vice related... Bars/Strip Clubs/Medical dispensaries for whatever drug etc... they all can have a very adverse effect on property values depending on location. Strip Clubs are a prime example.... You cannot constitutionally ban them, but you can decide where they can operate through zoning laws.

Woodsy
Probably everyone knows at least a couple of recreational marijuana users.

1) Of the four that I know, two—who are very intelligent otherwise—quit voluntarily long ago. (Although one had lost much of his lymph glands, and parts of his jaw to cancer). One other quit entirely after going on oxygen for breathing insufficiencies. (I was called to drive him to Huggins ER—twice).

The last one died last year. He was a very helpful mechanic, but died mostly from dependence on alcohol, tobacco, and various drugs. I found out by asking a mutual friend, "Is Jerry still alive?" I never knew his exact age, but I'd guess Jerry was about 30 when he died.

2) Britain has a long history of serious study and long reports. Their report on the toxic effects of smoking marijuana appears at the link.
Quote:
4.17 Most of our witnesses regard the consequences of smoking cannabis as the most important long-term risk associated with cannabis use[11]. Cannabis smoke contains all of the toxic chemicals present in tobacco smoke (apart from nicotine), with greater concentrations of carcinogenic benzanthracenes and benzpyrenes It has been estimated that smoking a cannabis cigarette (containing only herbal cannabis) results in approximately a five*fold greater increase in carboxy*haemoglobin concentration[12], a three*fold greater increase in the amount of tar inhaled, and a retention in the respiratory tract of one third more tar, than smoking a tobacco cigarette. Cannabis resin, the most commonly used form of cannabis in the United Kingdom, is often smoked mixed with tobacco, thus adding the well-documented risks of exposure to tobacco smoke, while complicating the picture for the researcher.

4.18 Regular cannabis smokers suffer from an increased incidence of respiratory disorders, including cough, bronchitis and asthma. Microscopic examination of the cells lining the airways of cannabis smokers has revealed the presence of an inflammatory response and some evidence for what may be pre-cancerous changes. There is as yet no epidemiological evidence for an increased risk of lung cancer but, by analogy with tobacco smoking, such a link may take 25-30 years or more before it becomes evident, and the widespread use of smoked cannabis in Western societies dates only from the 1970s. There are some reports of an increased incidence of cancers of the mouth and throat in young cannabis users[13], but so far these involve only small numbers and no cause and effect relationship has been established. Nevertheless, Professor Hall considers it a "pretty reasonable bet" that heavy users incur a risk of cancer (Q 741); and the risk is considered by some of our witnesses to be sufficiently serious to rule out any approval of long-term medical use of smoked cannabis, and to justify the present prohibition on recreational use.

4.19 Tolerance is the phenomenon whereby a regular user of a drug requires more each time to achieve the same effect. It is not an adverse effect in itself; but it may make medical use more difficult, and recreational use more damaging as the user's demand for the drug increases.

https://www.erowid.org/plants/cannab...cEffects.shtml
As for Laconia: would the directors risk hiring a local employee who has shown a weakness towards consuming any illegal drugs?