Thread: Dive Flag Law
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2004, 09:06 PM   #11
madrasahs

Default Another one for "The Rule of 75s"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
"...I never realized that the dive flag was attached to the diver. I guess it makes sense when you think about, given the 75' rule.
And 75 X 2 = the distance a boat must keep from the flag.

When I last dove Winnipesaukee, I had a yellow tank with a scalloped bottom. Date stamped 1949, I never needed weights in any kind of water, it was so heavy.

I filled it in Laconia (an hour's drive back then), and dove solo -- no flag -- until it came time to throw the unmarked reserve lever atop my DiveAir regulator ("J" or "K" valve -- I didn't know the difference back then) towards what should have been "Reserve".

There was about 30 seconds of "Reserve" air. I was ¼-mile from land and had to swim dragging the empty, but still very heavy, tank below the surface.

I used it again in "Little Blue Springs", Florida. (Nobody seems to know where that is nowadays). What probably saved my life was that I could never clear one ear, and could only dive to about 30 feet.

Today, I always give the diver's flag a wide berth but -- against a low sun -- you can't make out those little flags.

Anyway, isn't the biggest danger to Winnipesaukee divers...lightning?

'Seems a dive boat was shocked into activity two seasons ago in Wolfeboro Bay.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote