Thread: Dive Flag Law
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2004, 07:32 PM   #10
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default My dive flag meets the law....

Well, at least the one connected to my arm is. As you might have guest I have a bunch of floating dive flags (5 to be exact) and one real large one for the boat (3X5). I keep several to throw out when I have to dive in a congested area or have a large group with me.

The one I use all the time is made up from a 6' mooring pickup buoy very similar to a dive flag in many aspects. The foot of the flag is 3.5 to 4 feet off the water. The reason most dive flags don't meet code is they are designed to be stowed in the dive bag. However, I've had many encounters with the Marine Patrol and one on just this subject. As I peruse my sport I want to comply with the law as much as I can. So, I have found a way to make it right. Even though the dive flag is the bain of diving existence, I consider it like using seatbelts, I really don't think they going to save me, but I want to stack the odds as much in my favor as I can... I guess, it’s kinda like believing in God too.

I've told you many times that the flag only serves to draw attention to me... People see the flag and think it's a floating treasure and not knowing any better just have to have it and therein lies the problem. I know enough to protect myself by only surfacing near my boat or way away from traffic. But, it's a law I can live with...
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote