View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Dan, if you are targeting 30' would you expect fish on the depthfinder to be at 30' also or below that? IOW do you troll right into the fish level or above them?
That’s a great question, I always target the very top of the thermocline this time of year. Fish see what’s above them that is why they swim up towards their food never down. The thermocline isn’t that thick so if your fishing at the top of it, I feel your increasing your odds of more fish seeing whatever it is your presenting. The bait fish are in the thermocline and that’s where the salmon will be feeding. Sure, you may catch one on the surface during a hatch but the majority of them will be feeding in the thermocline on other bait fish. Most of those fish you see rising on calm mornings during a hatch are rainbows anyways, they don’t mind the warm water as much and they are fun to catch!

I honestly don’t use my fish finder to find or locate salmon this time of year, I use it more to see when something is in my attractors directly below the boat or to locate pods of bait fish very early in the morning. I definitely use the finder when targeting lakers though.

Dan