View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 04:36 AM   #28
ApS

Arrow Cordless Drill-Drivers Only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Anything 9V won't do much work. You might as well just use a manual screwdriver. You need at least 18V.
Manual screwdrivers take too long to drill holes.

For homeowner use, I've found Harbor Freight's $10 cordless drill-drivers have worked just fine to drill the occasional hole around the house. This year, HF may have replaced them with a more expensive Hercules brand.

You can see (below) where I've cut away the Makitas' rear grip to increase tension on the contacts—and to file off corrosion. On the right is one of two 40-volt batteries for GreenWorks yard tools.

I forgot to mention that the Ryobi batteries were difficult to remove—such is the contact points' tension engineered-in for batteries larger than 9.6v—which drop right out. Except in the tools that have a "spring-assist", the 40-volt batteries have to be pried out with a screwdriver!

The 9.6v Makita drill-drivers are all adjustable for torque, so chances of wringing-off fasteners are limited—as well as keeping the Phillips bits from "walking out". Every fastener gets a final adjustment by hand anyway.

I don't recommend the Makita 9.6v circular saw, as it jams readily in wood and simply isn't powerful enough to take on its purported function.

If you look at the tools that professional linesmen use, you'll find Hitachi and Ridgid. I don't know who's paying for their replacement batteries.

Comprehensive listing of power tools and their suppliers:
https://pressurewashr.com/tool-industry-behemoths/

For working down at the dock with some serious power tools, I've purchased a 100', 14-gauge, extension cord—for less than $50.

Here are some of my cordless drills—not including Harbor Freight and others I've left at the lake house: