View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 05:03 AM   #21
ApS

Red face Old School Tools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by welch-time View Post
These guys do really nice tool reviews. Here's a 1/2" drill comparison. https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/head-to-...-hammer-drill/ Predictably, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita were all on top. Ryobi finished in the middle of the pack (but not on the bottom). Ultimately they thought they were all good tools. I get the Ryobi refurbs because they're dirt cheap and I can leave a complete set (drill, driver, circular saw, batteries) out on the island without (much) fear of theft (who'd steal those ugly green things anyway?). I've always been happy with the performance. It's your money.
These are my four Ryobi drills.

One has the drill bit, one for chamfering, one a spade countersink, and another a Phillips. (A cheap way to keep a project moving-right-along).

I gotta say, they've given less trouble than my seven or eight Makitas. (Makita faults: corroded/weak battery contacts—one permanently-jammed chuck).

When I picked up Ryobi's "+1" Lithium battery, I had to opt for an aftermarket charger that would charge both types—but Hurricane Irma destroyed all my Ryobi tools.

I'll just limp along with Makita 9.6v, as too much torque will give my otherwise-unnoticed arthritis a jolt!