View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 03:22 AM   #66
fatlazyless

It's the original dip stick ..... and I've become the world's greatest oil add-er individual in the world history of adding oil to the engine! ....

Toyota has a silent recall on the engine in this 2013 Scion xB that is applicable up to 150,000 miles and supposedly somewhat leaves it up to the discretion of the dealer.

My take on what's up with the recall is the eight valve stem guide seals in this 165-hp 4-cylinder engine were installed upside down, which cause excess agitation of the oil which somehow causes the engine to "consume oil." Ever since mile #100, this xB has had an oil consumption problem. There's no drips or leaks under the car so it must be going out with the exhaust.

The mileage is now about 220,150-miles and I usually buy 4-quarts of Super Tech 5w-20 conventional, in the blue bottles, sometimes high mileage, and add enough, about one qt with every gas fill-up to correct the dip stick.

I pretty much got my "trade-in" value repaid from Allstate with their $1930- hit & run payment, last February-2020. The smash-in don't look too bad at all. So, this car goes as long as it goes. It has a trailer hitch, is fun to drive, has a big windshield, excellent insurance collision ratings so's my plan at this point is to keep on truck'n ...... keep add'n the oil, and .... drive it locally between Exit 20 -28 until it won't drive no more. It passed the state inspection and has four new tires and a brake job on the rear wheels about 6-months ago.

It gives me an excellent excuse so I don't have to drive to Boston to visit my two older sisters in Newton and Brookline. Driving Rt 93 in Massachusetts and south of Concord NH is much much busier than north of Exit 20-Tilton. They drive late model Honda Pilot and Honda CRV so's they can pilot there crv up to Meredith for a Lake Winnipesaukee visit and I'll take them out to Hart's Turkey in my 220,000-Scion ..... and awaaaaay we go! ......

I'm right now look'n at a used 5-year old Corolla, 65,000-low Maine miles, with a stick shift and a cd-disk player so's I'll already will have a very nice used car if and when this one suffers something big & expensive to repair .... like the engine. New cars since 2019 no longer come with a stick shift or a cd-disk slot.

Breaking down on Rt 93 between Exits 20 & 28 is no big deal. You sit broke down in the break-down lane for like ten minutes, a state trooper shows up, and the trooper calls Busky at Exit 24, Ashland, to come haul the car away on their flat bed. Have done this maybe three times already, about five to ten years ago, with two Ford Contour, stick shifts and a Chevy Tracker. I would definitely get out of the broke-down car, and go to the safety on the other side of the guard rail, all things considered .... turn on the flashers .... lift up the hood ..... and just chill out and wait for a state trooper .... used to be some of the state troopers were some real good look'n women.

Life in the slow lane ........ I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you! ...... ha-ha-ha ..... ...... actually not so slow up to 65-mph ...... if it's a single lane road and a no-passing area. I get passed all the time, usually by huge pickup trucks that drive like hell on wheels and have 300-hp engines with an automatic.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-05-2021 at 07:36 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote